Workers accident cover or Workers’ compensation insurance is insurance purchased by employers for the coverage of illness and injuries that occur at the workplace. It serves two important purposes:
- It assures that the injured worker gets medical care and compensation.
- It also assures that if a worker dies at the workplace, workers' compensation provides death benefits for his or her dependents.
Workers compensation comes under the purview of state laws. However, Insurance laws vary from state to state in the U.S.
Every employer has to maintain adequate work injury compensation insurance for:
- All employees doing manual work irrespective of their salary level.
- All employees doing non-manual work and earning $1,600 or less a month.
Both conditions are applicable when it comes to local and foreign employees.
Not adhering to these two conditions will be considered a punishable offense. It will bring a penalty of $10,000 and/or imprisonment of 12 months.
Injuries and diseases covered:
Workers’ compensation covers any injury that occurrs at the workplace. It also means injuries occurred in the course of employment. Apart from this, diseases like hearing loss, asbestosis and mesothelioma are included as well.
- The injured worker informs his or her employer immediately about the injury or disease - this also assures that if a worker dies at workplace, workers' compensation will provide death benefits for his or her dependents.
- The insurance carrier will open a claim for benefits once they have received either one or both reports from the employer or doctor.
- If the doctor acknowledges that the worker is going to lose time at work and if the claim is compensable, the insurance carrier will open a claim for benefits once they have received either one or both reports from the employer or doctor. If the claim gets denied, then the worker has the right for a hearing at the Labor Commission.
These are some important points worth knowing regarding the claim process.
Gaylord and Nantais is a leading workers’ compensation attorney in Long Beach, California. Our lawyers are experts in this area. For more information click on this link http://www.gaylordnantais.com/contact
Comments are closed